It is understood by the terms of a lease that there is rent to be paid...clearly outlined as to how much is expected and when it is due. But that doesn’t mean that this actually happens 100% of the time. People are human, and life happens. And at Propman Property Management, we hear it all.
Here are some of our favorite excuses why tenants couldn’t pay the rent:
They have other priorities:
- “My BMW is in the shop and I can’t afford to pay for both.”
- “I had the choice of paying the rent or buying a car. I bought a car. I thought you would understand.”
It is out of their hands:
- “My paycheck comes out of Japan and the plane crashed.”
- “I deposited my paycheck in the bank’s ATM and it got caught in the rollers. It took six days for the bank to tear apart the machine.”
- “My daughter ate my husband’s paycheck.”
They have poor money management skills:
- “I am straight broke.”
- “My income tax return was supposed to arrive a week ago, so I spent all the money from my paycheck, and now my tax return check has been delayed until two weeks from now.”
- It’s your fault. You deposited my check too late. My automatic withdrawals went through the bank before the rent check.”
- I’m sure I paid you—YOU must have lost it!”
Aren’t you glad you use a property management company to deal with tenants?
- Propman’s New Website Offers Expanded Benefits
- Propman Inspections Protect both Owners & Tenants
- Safety Tips for the Older Tenant
- Does Your Regular Homeowner’s Insurance Cover Your Rental Home?
- Is Your House Prepared to Be a Rental?
- What Happens to Home Rentals in a Seller’s Market?
- We Love Hearing Great Things About Propman