This is our fourth and final post in Propman Property Management’s series of questions to ask the landlord before you rent. We know it seems like a lot of questions, which is why we broke them up into a convenient series, but not all of these questions will come up. Most, if not all, will be covered by our representative at the time you sign your lease.
A lease is not only a legal transaction; it defines the responsibilities held by each party signing the lease (you and us). Therefore, it is best to ask and answer all questions up front so there are no surprises later.
Here are the final questions to take into consideration before renting:
- How early can I move in?
- May I move in early if the previous tenant leaves early?
- Is there an early move-in fee?
- If my property is not clean, or items are in disrepair, when will these items be completed or fixed?
- When moving out, when do I need to be out of the property?
- What parking provisions are available?
- Do I need a parking permit?
Living in the Home
- What is the allowable length of stay for visitors?
- Where can visitors park?
- Can I get a roommate? If so, do they need to be on the lease?
- What is your policy on pets?
- Are there any extra fees if I have pets?
- If I want to make a custom change to the property (like painting a white wall a different color), what is your policy? Do you make the change, or do I?
- Is smoking allowed inside the home?
Emergencies and Repairs
- If something breaks while I’m living here, who is responsible for fixing it?
- Who should I call, and when?
- Do you have regular workday hours, weekend hours, or after-hours contacts?
- Do you have an emergency or after-hours number?
- Do you have a maintenance staff (either on site or off site)?
- How quickly can I expect repairs to be made?
And if you wish to rent from Propman Property Management, feel free to review our Available Rentals. If you see one you like and you qualify, we welcome you to submit a Rental Application. All forms are conveniently available online in our “Residents” section.
If you’re looking at a home to rent in Northern Virginia, you should be asking questions of your landlord. These questions not only familiarize you with the policies and services offered by your property management company, they can prevent any disputes later on down the road.
Here is the third installment in the Propman Property Management series “Before You Rent: Questions for the Landlord.” Be sure to refer to our first two posts for additional questions.
- Are kitchen appliances provided, and if so, which ones?
- Are a washer and dryer provided? If not, where are the closest laundry facilities?
- Are blinds or drapes provided?
- Are there screens or storm windows?
- Are there fire extinguishers and smoke alarms in the property?
- Is there a storage area?
- If I am to do the yard work, are the tools provided (lawn mower, rakes, etc.)?
- For what maintenance am I responsible (gutters, light bulbs, etc.)?
- Are the locks changed after the current tenant moves out?
- Are there secure locking devices such as deadbolts on the doors?
- Are the locks or security devices on the windows?
- Does the property have an alarm system?
- Does the property have security lighting or any special security features?
- Are the peepholes in the doors?
- If I lose my key, what is the process?
- If I am locked out, what is the process?
- Are cars towed from the lot if they are not registered?
- Do I need renter’s insurance?
Right of Entry
- If your staff or repair personnel need to come into my home, how much advance notice will I receive?
- Do I arrange any repair appointments with contractors or vendors?
- If it’s not convenient for me, do I have to let the person into the home?
- If I’ve given notice of moving out, what is the policy on having people come in to look at the property?
Propman Property Management lists Available Properties for Rent on our website. We also represent homeowners who have a property to rent. If you are looking for a home, please review our listings and submit a rental application. You’ll find we’re great to rent from.
This post continues Propman’s series on the questions you should ask your landlord before renting a property. In Part 1 of this series, we covered questions on rent, security deposits, and utilities. In this post, we’ll list a few more of the important questions that will affect your stay in your new home.
Lease Application & Terms
- How do I know if I quality to rent the property?
- Do you perform a credit and background check?
- What forms do I need to fill out?
- What fee is required with the application, and what money is required when I sign the lease?
- What do I do when my application is accepted?
- Who is the landlord or property manager?
- How many people are allowed to live at this property, and does everyone who lives here need to be on the lease?
- Will my lease renew automatically each year?
- What notice is needed to renew or terminate my lease?
- Is there an early termination option or fee?
- Can I sublet this property or assign my lease?
- Is there a sublet fee?
- Do I have to pay for professional cleaning when I move out?
- Do we do a walk-through move-in inspection?
- Is there an end-of-lease walk-through inspection?
- Do you perform periodic inspections, and what kind of notice do I get for these?
- If damage is found, do you help me repair it, or provide resources for repairs?
- If my property is found not to be clean when I move out, who is responsible for cleaning it?
You’ll find that when you rent from Propman Property Management, that most, if not all, of these questions will be covered in your application process, or be listed in your lease. If, however, you want to ask additional questions, please feel free. We want to help make your rental experience a great one.
For additional important questions to ask, see Part 1 of our series, and stay tuned for more questions next month.
If you’re thinking about renting a property in Northern Virginia, you are about to enter into a contract with the landlord. And any time you enter into any sort of agreement, you should ask the right questions before signing on the dotted line.
We’ll cover some of the most common questions in a series of blog posts, but here are the first ones you should consider asking the landlord or property management company:
- How much is my monthly rent?
- What is the length of your lease?
- Can I rent for longer or shorter periods?
- Where is my rent to be paid, and when is it due?
- What forms of rent payment are acceptable?
- Is there a penalty or late fee if my rent is late?
- Is there an “escalator clause” in my lease, whereby the rent increases at a certain point?
- How much is your security deposit?
- When do I pay it and when will it be returned?
- Do I receive interest on my security deposit?
- What would prevent my security deposit from being returned?
- If you allow pets, is there a pet security deposit?
- What utilities are included in the rent and which am I responsible for?
- What type of heat does this home have?
- What type of air conditioning system does this home have?
- What form of garbage collection is available?
- Which cable TV and Internet services are available?
- Why utilities are required, and what is their typical monthly cost?
If you have questions about renting a home through Propman Property Management, please give us a call. We’ll be glad to answer them. You can also find some of these answers on our FAQ for Renters page.
- Propman’s New Website Offers Expanded Benefits
- Propman Inspections Protect both Owners & Tenants
- Safety Tips for the Older Tenant
- Does Your Regular Homeowner’s Insurance Cover Your Rental Home?
- Is Your House Prepared to Be a Rental?
- What Happens to Home Rentals in a Seller’s Market?
- We Love Hearing Great Things About Propman